Saturday, February 16, 2008

My Will

Laid on Thine Altar, oh my Lord Divine,
Accept my gift this day for Jesus' sake.
I have no jewels to adorn Thine shrine,
Nor any world-famed sacrifice to make.
Yet here I bring within my trembling hand
This will of mine - a thing that seemeth small,
But Thou alone, O Lord, can understand
How, when I yield Thee this, I yield Thee all.
Hidden therein, Thy searching eye can see
Struggles of passion, visions of delight,
All that I have, and am, and fain would be,
Fond hope, deep love and longing infinite.
It hath been wet with tears and dimmed with sighs,
Clenched in my grasp till beauty it hath none.
Now from Thy footstool, where it vanquished lies,
The prayer ascendeth, "May Thy will be done."
Take it, O Father, ere my courage fail,
And merge it so in Thine own will,
That e'en if in some desperate hour my cries prevail,
And Thou give back my will, it may have been
So changed, so purified, so fair have grown,
So one with Thee, so filled with peace divine,
I may not know it, feel it as mine own,
But gaining back my will, may find it Thine.

Author Unknown,
Streams in the Desert, Vol 2

No comments: