Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Husband Who Isn't What You Wanted


I know, I know... I'm not married so I don't know anything about marriage. I know I don't.
But, quotes like this are too good to pass up.
And if you, married person, resent me posting marriage "stuff" on my blog... just think of it this way: I'm posting it for myself. Because really, I am. :)

"You're just going to need to get rid of the idea that marriage will make you happy. It won't. Once the initial high wears off, you'll just be you, except with twice as much laundry.

Because ultimately, marriage is not about getting something -- it's about giving it.

....The bottom line is that marriage is just a long-term opportunity to practice loving someone even when they don't deserve it. Because most of the time, your messy, farting, macaroni-and-cheese eating man will not be doing what you want him to. But as you give him love anyway -- because you have made up your mind to transform yourself into a person who is practicing being kind, deep, virtuous, truthful, giving, and most of all, accepting of your own dear self -- you will find that you will experience the very thing you wanted all along:

Love."

Tracy McMillan, on the Huffington Post: "Why You're Not Married."

2 comments:

Reformed Apologist said...

"I know, I know... I'm not married so I don't know anything about marriage. I know I don't."

You know more than you think, I'm sure. But why think marriage won't make you happy? Won't it make you happy to make another Christian complete? Didn't that mystical union make Adam complete and Eve as well? You're to be content in all your situations, but that doesn't mean all situations are as "happy" as others. Wait upon the Lord and keep knocking. :)

Blessings...

Mary said...

Good question -
I think marriage is a state preferable and generally happier than singleness. It is what God created man for. He saw man alone and said, "It is not good."
I think marriage is a good, beautiful, wonderful thing. It's always been one of my greatest dreams and aspirations in life, and my ideals and hopes of marriage haven't dimmed with the passing of time.

And yet, any time I place my hope of happiness on anything other than GOD, I will find myself disappointed in one way or another. God alone can satisfy my heart.

To me singleness is a lot like a woman with a barren womb. It's unnatural to not be able to have children, and we'd expect her to be unhappy with it and spend her life wishing for children. But, as a Christian, she must learn to yield her will to the Shepherd of her soul who does all things well.

In the same way, as a single, I yield my hopes to the Author of Hope. And I acknowledge that God alone (not marriage) is great enough to fill my heart and soul fill me with joy!