Isn't it horrible to watch someone who has allowed pride to fester and grow and grow in their lives to suddenly fall flat other face in a huge and ugly way? Of course, it is usually for their own good, and when they pick themselves up and brush themselves off, they are often kinder, gentler, and much nicer, more lovable people with a proper estimation of themselves.
My prayer for several years each day has been that God will humble me when a little bit of pride starts to creep into my heart and that immediately I would fall and be reminded again of just who I am! It's so much easier to trip frequently, then to hang onto your pride until it's such a load that it nearly crushes you when you finally fall over under the weight of your own head full of thoughts about yourself!
I am so prone to pride, but God is SO faithful to humble me if I just ask. He's more than happy to send a circumstance my way that will humble me NOW rather than watch me wallow around in pride for months before I realize that I need help!
I was so excited to get this list of "Ways to Humble Yourself" (mostly credited to Bill Gothard) awhile ago. I can't say that I review it often enough, but it's something everyone should copy and stick in their Bible or on the mirror or bulletin board for daily review.
God resists [actively fights against] the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
There is nothing that others dislike in your life more than an attitude of pride.
The process of getting rid of it may be long and hard and painful, but why would you want it?
Who would hang onto a cancer that was destroying their life?
- Submit to God-ordained authorities. Dan. 4:37
- Admit faults and needs. James 5:16
- Ask forgiveness. Joshua 7:19
- Praise your competitors and help them. Matt. 5:44
- Welcome criticism and grow from it. Rom.
- Bless those who curse you. Matt. 5:44
- Deflect praise that is given to you. Rom. 13:7
- Make others’ schedules and plans more important than your own plans.
- Listen to others rather than talking about yourself.
- Serve others. Phil. 2:4
- Give sacrificially. Prov. 13:7
- Consider God’s works – nature, etc. Ps. 8:3-4
- Kneel in humility “Bow low” – Ps. 95:6
- Express gratefulness. Ps 103:1-5
- Weep over sin. James 4:9
- Ask others to point out blind spots. Prov. 27:6
- Don’t defend yourself.
- Get rid of “status symbols” Matt. 11:8-11
- Honor the Lord’s Day. Isa. 58:13, 14
- Don’t put others down in conversation. Prov. 26:18, 19
- Ask God daily to show you pride in your life.
- Ask God daily to humble you.