Tuesday, August 23, 2011

How Fortunate Infinite Wisdom Prevails!




I love, love, love Ruth Bell Graham's poetry... Mom introduced it to me in fourth grade when she gave me a copy of Ruth's book, "Sitting By My Laughing Fire" and told me to learn to write poetry. {I never did write anything worth saving.}

At the time, I thought her poetry was annoying and hard to understand.

Then I grew up a little and lived a little life and started to savor some of her Ruth's words.
And now, there are few things I like more than a Ruth Bell Graham poem. The realness just oozes from it... and her words say what my heart never managed to put into words.

I'll share one of my all-time favorites tonight.

Had I been Joseph's mother
I'd have prayed
protection from his brothers:
"God keep him safe;
he is so young,
so different from
the others."
Mercifully she never knew
there would be slavery
and prison, too.

Had I been Moses' mother
I'd have wept
to keep my little son;
praying she might forget
the babe drawn from the water
of the Nile,
had I not kept
him for her
nursing him the while?
Was he not mine
and she
but Pharaoh's daughter?

Had I been Daniel's mother
I should have pled
"Give victory!
This Babylonian horde-
godless and cruel -
don't let them take him captive
-- better dead,
Almighty Lord!"

Had I been Mary -
Oh, had I been she,
I would have cried
as never a mother cried,
"...Anything, O God,
anything...
but crucified!"

With such prayers
importunate
my finite wisdom
would assail
Infinite Wisdom;
God, how fortunate
Infinite Wisdom
should prevail!

-- RBG


2 comments:

Groves said...

Amen RBG, and now she is rejoicing in Heaven, in full view of all that she hoped for and believed would come.

Our turn next, Lord Jesus! Hasten the Day!

Amanda said...

I have that book too Mary! My mother gave it to me :).