Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My 300th post. Wow!

This is my 300th post to my blog. It feels kinda historic! Anyway, I'm just glad I've had the consistency to keep blogging semi-regularily since late 2007! I really enjoy blogging when I can find the time, so I hope to continue to blog til ???

If I don't know you read my blog, I'd love to know you exist - either by becoming one of my "followers", leaving me a comment or emailing me at wewouldseejesus {at} gmail {dot} com. :)



It's late, or rather, early. I really should go to bed. Especially after last night. Sarah and I talked til the inordinate hour of.... well, I shan't say. But it wasn't too long before the sun came up. And then we had to get up and go back to the Capitol before long. Thankfully Halley came early, because we arrived late.

But I've been away from my blog too long, so I'll leave you with a few ramblings about my life, before I head upstairs...

Today was a good one. There were lots of little things that were just nice... and happy.

I'm spending a few days at the Capitol again, keeping an eye on bills as the session winds down for the year. The pace is so different from last year, though. We're not trying to pass anything. Just make sure nothing bad (like a repeal of our new midwifery law) happens. It's sooo much easier to just stop bad things, than to try to find the strength to push and shove a bill across the finish line.

And I can't even begin to say how nice it has been to have Sarah and Halley at the Capitol taking my place this year. I really felt like I could NOT go back another year full time. Years of being there had just been enough and I felt like it was time to refresh my soul somewhere else!

After a few days of gray skies and rain and mud, the sun shone gloriously today. As I drove back across town this morning, flowers were smiling cheerfully from yards everywhere.
No wind, just a beautiful, still day with a bright sky overhead. The Capitol lawn is so lovely this time of year. I could sit there for hours and read a book or just think, but today I only had time to hustle past the bus loads of school kids and hurry inside.

I'm just really sorry that I missed the magnolias that surround the Capitol. I've been there to see them bloom for four years, and this year when I came back, their petals were just lying on the ground, old and brown.

When I arrived this morning, I found a parking space right on the circle drive around the Capitol. No parking garage fees, and best of all my car 2 blocks closer to the Capitol! Happiness!

And I found a bit of time to study in between talking to lobbyists who had to fill me in on what I hadn't seen or heard the day before.

It was Ice Cream Day at the Capitol. It's served in the rotunda - big, heaping banana splits for everyone walking through the Capitol who wanted one. (Yesterday was Pie Day - Senator Champion served about 15 kinds of pie all afternoon to anyone and everyone who wanted some.) Those serving the free food must groan when they see the 90 children on a field trip coming towards their table!

Anyway, I'm digressing... I had a banana split and found a few minutes to sit and eat it and talk to Halley and make plans with her. I'm so excited that she's going to get to come to do some prenatals with my preceptor and me this summer!

Session ended early! The sun was still shining when Sarah and I wrapped up our work and left the building! That felt amazing, considering it's the end of session.

Then I headed across town to get some shopping done for an upcoming wedding. (I wasn't really very successful in finding the gift I wanted, but oh well.) Who should I meet at the front register but Mr. and Mrs. Nisbett?! It was so fun to bump into them there!

Back at home, my family is busy planting the garden. And harvesting... I cannot believe how well our greens and baby spinach and lettuce is doing. I brought a big bag of it with me, and am piling my lunch sandwiches full of fresh greens each day. Yum!

I plan to drive home tomorrow afternoon. And then another busy day starts over.

I've been thinking about I Thess. 5:6 all day:
"Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober."


I'm so complacent and sleepy at times when it comes to my life that it is scary.
I must ask myself constantly, Am I living an intentional life or just drifting with what comes my way?
Dilligence requires action on my part. Soberness requires an alertness and an awareness to life around me.

Sarah just reminded me last night of the command to "keep yourselves in the love of God." Yes, in the love of God. That is where I want to be. Sober, watching, happy

5 comments:

Missy said...

Yay! I am the first to comment on your 300th post!

Thank you so much for you thoughts at the end,
"Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober...'Dilligence requires action on my part. Soberness requires an alertness and an awareness to life around me.'"
I needed to be reminded of that this morning. It is so true. Thank you!
Love you Mary! The Lord give you His amazing strength and grace as you seek His beautiful face today! He is precious!

Many Stings!
Missy
(will we ever get too old for that...?) :)

Laurel said...

So glad you made time to post, Mary! Congrats on your 300th - think I'll go see what my total is so far. :-)
I so appreciate you, dear friend, and hope that I get to see you soon. I miss you!

Joy Ringnald said...

Congratulations, Mary! That is a lot of posts. :) I love reading your blog and ams so glad that you have a blog. Keep it up!

with love,
Joy :)

Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

300 posts! Wow.

Your posts are always so encouraging Mary. Thanks for taking the time out of your very full schedule to bless us readers. :)

Melissa said...

I'm one of those people you don't know, but I pop in and see what you are doing and am encouraged by all you do. Thanks for blogging and the example you set.