Sunday, August 24, 2008

"You are as holy as you want to be."

This past week I've been thinking often of Keith Daniel's saying, 
"You are as holy as you want to be."

Yes, people can disagree with that statement, or clarify, or whatever. (And, yes, I know that it is only by God's grace that we can do anything right... that's the other side of the coin, but not what I'm posting about tonight!)

That statement is far more true than many of us would like to admit. We lament because we have habitual sins in our life that we haven't conquered, because we just keep having the wrong priorities, etc...
The truth is, usually we don't want personal holiness bad enough.

People decide to go to college and get a degree. Many don't want it that badly, and they quit short of the goal. But for many, it doesn't matter what obstacles land in their way or how unfairly life treats them - their eyes are fixed on the goal  - and they do it! I could think of numerous examples of people who are determined to do something, regardless of the pain, sacrifice, cost, and discomfort but set their mind to who/what they want to be and do it!

Many Christians talk about stopping their anger or bitterness or lust or pride or immodesty or dishonesty or slander or dishonor of authority... or throwing away those magazines, that music, whatever brings them back to sin. They really do want to stop it. But they don't want to bad enough. So they don't quit or they just stick the music or magazines under the bed for awhile to pacify their conscience.

I know, because sometimes that's me. Impatient with a little sister again, I want to repent, confess it, and do better next time. But did I need to act that way this time? No.

As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he, the Bible says. I am a goal-oriented person. I make and follow to-do lists, and I prioritize what I want most to get done each day. I don't always get everything done that I want to, but I try hard, because it matters to me.

Does being holy tomorrow matter to me? Of course, it matters. But does it matter enough to make it to the top of my list, above all of my other goals?

My personal holiness depends on how bad I want it. I have no other excuse for my life. 

No comments: