Friday, May 9, 2008

Texting and Driving - Safely, That Is!

Leading the crazy, busy life that I do, I'm becoming more and more proficient at multi-tasking. Sometimes it's a good thing. Sometimes it's not.

I rarely ever drive anywhere without being on the phone constantly...and sometimes eating and texting as well. Although I try to limit my text messaging to moments when I am stationary (at a stoplight or such) there are other times, when I just can't wait to reply. When a senator texts me from the senate floor with an urgent question and s/he can't talk, many times I have no choice but to quickly text him/her back. Problem is, it isn't always safe to do while driving, regardless of the "necessary" part of the equation.

I think I've discovered the solution!

www.Jott.com

Once you've signed up with Jott (giving them your name and email), you call a Jott number and as if leaving a message, speak into your phone, instantly texting anyone who's contact information you have already entered into your contact list at Jott.
Or you can email people by calling Jott.
Or you can update your Google calendar by simply speaking into your phone... or make a grocery list...
It simply converts you voice to text and sends it to whoever you tell it to!

Some voice transcription services don't do very well at figuring out what you're trying to say. So far Jott has done an awesome job of transcribing anything I say! It's pretty cool and a totally free service.

If you don't know about Jott yet, you really ought to sign up. (And, no, Jott didn't pay me to blog about them!) I can't even begin to tell you how handy it is when you have the Jott number in your phone, and just hit "send"/"call", say your friend's name and start speaking - delivering a text or email to them a few moments later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary! Just wanted to let you know that I still read here, and enjoy it very much! I don't sign into my account very often, so I forget to leave comments, but I'm still here!!
~Joanna

Anonymous said...

Very Cool! I might even begin to consider it if I jsut had a cell phone! :)

Carissa <>< :)