Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Matthew Henry on Anger

I'm slowly working my way through Matthew Henry's book, "The Quest for Meekness and Quietness of Spirit", written in 1698.
It is so deep and so rich that one can only read a page or two at a time to properly assimilate what he has to say.

On anger he says:

When our hearts are at any time hot within us we should do well to put that question to ourselves which God put to Cain,
"Why am I wroth?" (Gen. 14:6).

Why am I angry at all?
Why so soon angry?
Why so very angry?
Why so far transported and dispossessed of myself by my anger?
What reason is there for all of this?
"Do I well to be angry for a gourd that came up in a night, and perished in a night?" (Jonah 4:6)
Should I be touched to the quick by such a sudden and transient provocation?
Will not my cooler thoughts correct these hasty resentments, and therefore were it not better to check them now?

Such are the reasonings of the meekness of wisdom.

No comments: